Transfer-In from Other Registered Plans

Canada Revenue Agency permits the transfer of funds from one registered plan to another on a tax sheltered basis within Canada. The UBC Faculty Pension Plan (FPP or “the Plan”) will accept transfers of registered funds from a Canadian financial institution or a previous employer.

All active, deferred and retired members of the Plan are eligible to transfer registered funds into the Plan. Former members who transferred to external registered plans are also eligible to transfer back into the Plan.

Consolidating your registered plans can help you save time and money. You will reduce the number of accounts to monitor and manage, and can potentially reduce the amount of fees charged.

Eligible Funds

The following Canadian registered plans are eligible for transfer into the Plan:

  • Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP)*
  • Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF)
  • Locked-In Retirement Accounts (LIRA)
  • Life Income Funds (LIF)
  • Registered Pension Plans (RPP)

*Any locked-in restrictions attached to the funds will remain.

The following are not eligible for transfer into the Plan:

  • Spousal RRSPs**
  • Tax Free Savings Accounts
  • Non-registered assets
  • Pension plans or retirement plans outside Canada, i.e. 401(k)

**To be eligible, an RRSP must be one in which the FPP member made the contributions in his/her own name and not by or for a spouse.

Transfer Fees

The Plan does not charge for accepting transferred funds but we do suggest that members and former members verify with the current carrier what, if any, surrender or transfer charges would be levied by them for the transfer. The Plan does not reimburse members for any fees charged for the transfer. Once the funds are transferred to the Plan, investment management and administrative fees are calculated and charged daily on the value of the funds.

Investment Options

The transferred-in funds will be initially deposited to the default UBC FPP Balanced Fund. You can then reallocate your funds among the Plan’s six investment options. Visit the Investments page to learn about the funds available, including historical performance information.

Withdrawal Options

The funds can be transferred out to an external registered plan at no cost, and if the funds are not locked-in, they can be withdrawn as a taxable cash payment at no cost.


If you are an Active member, you can easily consolidate registered plans online through your member account. Sign in at, then under Investments, select Manage plan > my plan > Put money in > Transfer registered plans to UBC FPP and follow the prompts.

Deferred and Retired members can use the Application for Direct Transfer of Assets to transfer external registered assets into their FPP account.

To transfer your registered pension plan from a previous employer, please contact us.

Status of Your Request

Members can view their investment changes, transfers-in, and withdrawals by signing into If the transfer has not yet arrived in your FPP account, contact your financial institution for the status of your transfer out request.