Living Outside Canada

If you move outside of Canada and/or are considered a non-resident by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), your pension benefit payments or transfer out requests may require special attention.

Determine Your Residency Status

It is important that you know your residency status and the income tax rules that apply to you while you are residing outside Canada. Review Taxation for Canadians travelling, living or working outside Canada on the Government of Canada website to determine your residency status and implications.

Leaving Your Funds Invested in the Plan

If you elect to leave your funds in the Plan, you will continue to have access to your FPP account online at  If you have elected to receive paper copies of your annual Statements of Account, you will continue to receive them by mail to the address on record. Please ensure that your mailing address and contact information is kept up to date. No further action is required until you request a pension benefit payment(s).

Withdrawing Cash

Non locked-in funds can be withdrawn in cash. Full or partial withdrawal requests are available for non locked-in funds. The amount of tax withheld will be based on Non-Resident tax rates if, in the year of withdrawal, you are a non-resident of Canada for more than 183 days.

Locked-in funds may be unlocked if you satisfy the CRA’s requirements for being a non-resident of Canada. You can withdraw the full balance of your locked-in funds at any age if you have resided outside of Canada for at least two years. Partial withdrawals are not permitted when locked-in funds are unlocked.

Prior to your cash withdrawal request:

Sun Life 
Group Retirement Services
PO Box 11001 Stn CV
Montreal, QC     H3C 3P3

    • Upon receipt of the above document(s), Sun Life will be able to accept your cash withdrawal instructions by phone to the Sun Life Client Care Centre at 1-844-822-3131.

The withholding tax rate is 15% or 25%, depending on your country of residence and it will be deducted at source from your gross payment amount.

Cash payments will be paid out in Canadian currency unless otherwise specified.

*For members who have previously filed a Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (leaving Canada) and received a letter from CRA confirming the effective date of your non-residency:

Transfer My Funds to Other Registered Plans

You may transfer your funds to a registered plan(s) with a financial institution or employer in Canada. There are no reciprocal transfer provisions that permit tax-sheltered transfers between registered plans to other countries.

If you wish to transfer your funds to a registered plan(s) in Canada, contact your financial institution. Refer to Transfer to Other Registered Plans (RRSP/RRIF/LIRA/RPP) for additional information and required forms.

UBC FPP Retirement Income Options

If you will be or are receiving income from one or more of the UBC FPP Retirement Income Options and reside outside of Canada, you must complete and submit a Form NR301, Declaration of eligibility for benefits (reduced tax) under a tax treaty for a non-resident person form with your retirement income application or when you cease to be a resident of Canada.

Canadian Government Income Security Programs

As a non-resident of Canada, you may be entitled to apply for Canada Pension Plan (CPP) payments and Old Age Security Pension (OAS) payments.

Canada also has agreements with a number of other countries that offer comparable pension programs. These agreements allow for the co-ordination of two countries’ social security programs and make the benefits portable between the countries. For example, most social security programs require contributions during a minimum number of years. Under these agreements, periods of residence in Canada or contributions to the CPP may be used to satisfy the eligibility conditions of the other country’s social security system. For more information, visit Lived or living outside Canada – Pension and benefits – Overview on the Government of Canada website.

Note: If you are a non-resident of Canada, get Form NRTA1, Authorization for Non-Resident Tax Exemption for more information on transfers.