Transfer to an External RRSP or LIRA

A Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) is a registered financial vehicle in which your contributions and accumulated investment earnings are tax deferred. You may transfer your non locked-in funds out of the FPP into an RRSP at a financial institution.

A Locked-In Retirement Account (LIRA) is an RRSP that receives locked-in funds from a provincially registered pension plan. You may transfer your locked-in funds out of the FPP into a LIRA at a financial institution. Locked-in FPP contributions must be transferred to a LIRA that is registered under the BC Pension Benefits Standards Act. Any locked-in funds transferred into the Plan will remain under the originating pension legislation.

Forms Required

To transfer your funds to an external RRSP or LIRA, complete and submit the following form(s) to Sun Life:

If you are a non-resident, complete the following form:

If you are a non-resident and have locked-in funds you can apply to have the locked-in restriction removed from your funds and transfer to an external RRSP. For more information and for the required forms, refer to Living Outside Canada.